Medical Experts Explained

Our network is huge, diverse, and well-suited to your case 

So much of your claim can be overwhelming or unfamiliar. That’s why we want to outline the medical practitioners we’ll assign to your case – what they do, how they’ll help, and the injuries they’ve been studying for years…

General Practitioner (GP) 

As the name suggests, this is a doctor who practices many types of medicine. You may know them as a ‘physician’ in another country, since they can provide medication and diagnose illnesses. GPs are our first choice for soft tissue injury cases.

Consultants In Accident & Emergency Medicine 

Consultants have a senior status in their profession and area of medical expertise. In this case, they are the most senior doctor working in an Accident & Emergency department. They can diagnose the most traumatic types of injury.

Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon 

These are surgeons, not doctors. They specialise in bones, and the muscles or tissue surrounding them. You’ll be referred to a consultant orthopaedic surgeon if you’ve broken a bone, or been suffering from a soft tissue injury for a long time.

Consultant Psychiatrist 

In the event of an accident, you may be suffering mental stress as well as physical pain. Consultant psychiatrists will determine if you have a recognised psychiatric illness, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Consultant Psychologist 

Consultant psychologists are very similar to psychiatrists, with one exception: they aren’t medically qualified. That means they can’t prescribe medication.

Consultant Neurologist/Neurosurgeon 

Head injury cases may leave you incapacitated, paralysed, or with severe mobility issues. A consultant neurologist or neurosurgeon will analyse the damage.

Consultant Ophthalmologist

Consultant ophthalmologists review any injury or impediment to your vision. They can perform eye tests, scans, and disease assessments, as well as suggest surgery or lenses.

Consultant In Maxillofacial Surgery 

Fractures and dental trauma are common injuries – especially after a road traffic accident. These experts can assess conditions affecting your mouth, face, jaw, or neck. This includes those brought about by industrial disease too.

Consultant Plastic Surgeon 

If you’re suffering from severe scarring, we’ll put you in contact with a consultant plastic surgeon who deals with cosmetic issues. They can recommend the best surgery in their medical report.

Consultant In Respiratory Medicine/Chest Physician 

This is an expert in lung complaints and breathing difficulties. Symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, fainting, and wheezing may be linked to respiratory conditions.

Consultant Cardiologist 

A consultant cardiologist will examine any heart complaints you might have. They can carry out tests for ‘heart murmurs’ or irregular rhythms, as well as recommend surgery if required.

Consultant Paediatrician 

Any medical, developmental, or mental issues relating to children are considered by a consultant paediatrician. They have vast experience in working with very young children too.

Consultant Rheumatologist 

If you’re suffering from a musculoskeletal or rheumatic disease (such as arthritis), we’ll find you an appropriate expert. Often, they will be used for cases associated with chronic conditions such as fibromyalgia.

Consultant General Surgeon 

Despite the name, this expert doesn’t perform or advise on surgery concerning the entire body – they specialise in the torso. Furthermore, they tend to focus on one organ or area of the body.

Pain & Anaesthesia Specialists 

It’s likely that you’ll want to control or minimise any pain you’re suffering from. We’ll arrange for a pain or anaesthesia specialist to add their advice to your report.


Podiatrists focus on the feet or lower limbs. Infections, breaks, cramp, trapped nerves, and deformities fall into their field of knowledge.

The Optimal Med team is on hand to further explain each of the above fields of medicine if required, and introduce you and your legal team to an expert that’s relevant to your case. Message us personally or ask your solicitor to get in touch at