Patient zone

Your medical Appointment


Please don’t worry about attending your medical examination as this is perfectly normal when making a personal injury claim. Your appointment will be with a qualified doctor. They are not going to treat you, but will prepare a report detailing what injuries you suffered in the accident. The doctor will examine you and may ask you to complete a questionnaire detailing your injuries.

We aim to provide an appointment that is suited to you both in terms of being reasonably local and at a convenient time. If you need to change your appointment, please contact us as soon as possible before hand and provide as much notice in advance of the appointment as you may be charged if you simply don’t attend.

It is important that the doctor knows all about your injuries, so please let us know in advance if you require the services of an interpreter as this can be arranged.



Common medical experts


General Practitioner (GP)

As the name suggests, a General Practitioner or GP as they are commonly called is a doctor who practices all types of medicine. In some countries they are called physicians because they can diagnose illnesses and dispense drugs. With a soft tissue injury case a GP is the most likely type of expert instructed at the outset.


Consultant in Accident & Emergency Medicine

In medical terminology the word “Consultant” denotes a type of doctor who has achieved a senior level of status as a specialised practitioner. A Consultant in Accident & Emergency Medicine is the most senior doctor working in an Accident & Emergency department. They can diagnose and provide an opinion about most types of traumatic injury.



Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon

A Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon is a specialist in musculoskeletal problems ie bones and the tissue surrounding them. Since they are surgeons they are addressed not as Dr, but as Mr/Mrs/Miss. Using the title Dr signifies the expert does not undertake surgery. Claimants are likely to be referred to this type of expert if they have suffered from broken bones, or if soft tissue injures only where the recovery period has been unduly long.



Consultant Psychiatrist

A Consultant Psychiatrist is a medically qualified doctor who treats psychiatric and psychological complaints. Quite often after an accident the Claimant can encounter psychiatric problems related to their accident. There is much written about the most intensive of these types of reaction – Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). This type of expert will identify whether the Claimant is suffering from a recognised psychiatric illness and whether that is caused by the accident.



Consultant Psychologist

A Consultant Psychologist can also diagnose psychiatric illness and psychological problems, but to differentiate from a Consultant Psychiatrist these experts are not medically qualified. They cannot therefore prescribe medication, although commonly they will recommend psychological treatment.



Consultant Neurologist /Consultant Neurosurgeon

These are experts in dealing with the nervous system and are commonly encountered in head injury cases.



Consultant Ophthalmologist

These are eye specialists.



 Consultant in Maxillofacial Surgery

These experts are dual qualified in medicine and dentistry and are instructed to report on facial trauma and fractures.



Consultant Plastic Surgeon

These are “cosmetic” surgeons ie they improve the aesthetics of a wound or injury. They are commonly instructed when the Claimant is suffering from severe scarring.



Consultant in Respiratory Medicine

An expert in lung complaints and problems with breathing.



Consultant Cardiologist

An expert in heart complaints



Consultant Paediatrician

An expert in childrens medicine, child development and problems relating to children.



 Consultant Rheumatologist

An expert in arthritis and similar conditions. Quite often this type of expert will be used where the Claimant may have developed a chronic pain condition such as fibromyalgia.



Consultant Chest physician

An expert in chest complaints



Consultant General Surgeon

Unlike the name suggests, such experts do not undertake all surgery, but specialise in the human torso. They tend to further specialise on a particular organ or area of the body.



 Pain Specialist/Anaesthetist

This type of expert can advise upon controlling or minimising pain.




A foot expert